Our Make Your Own Fossil Kit is part of Science2Life’s ‘Science It!’ Programmes
Turn your children into little archaeologists with our Make Your Own Fossil Kit.
A complete learning activity – this mega dig kit includes everything you need to reconstruct how fossils are made and then discovered!
This kit contains:
- Parasaurolophus Dinosaur puzzle
- Parasaurolophus Dinosaur
- Moulding foam
- 64 g dental stone (enough to make 2 models)
- Measuring cup
Build your dinosaur skeleton puzzle, bury it, mould it, then dig it!
Building this 3D puzzle stimulates logical thinking and special imagination.
- Build your Parasaurolophus Dinosaur puzzle.
- Gently push it into the foam mould using the wooden stick – this ensures no finger marks are made.
- Carefully remove your dinosaur skeleton.
- Carefully measure 10 ml of water and add it to 32 g (or 30 ml) of dental stone powder.
- Mix until you have a smooth paste (a bit like a thick batter) – 30 seconds max.
- Pour the paste into the mold – use the lollipop stick to smooth the surface.
- Leave for 60 minutes.
- Place your mould on a tray.
- Carefully remove the outer layer of the foam with your fingers.
- As you get closer to the skeleton you will then need to use the wooden stick.
- The toothbrush is then used to brush away the foam that is found within the rib cage and other crevasses.
- When completely dry paint your fossil!
Dental stone can be used to collect many kinds of impressions. Forensic scientists use it a lot to gather impressions of shoe prints and type tracks.
Dental stone emits heat while it hardens – so we can’t use it for impressions made in snow!