80 Universal Indicator Testing Strips pH 1-14
Universal test papers for measuring pH levels. The pH indicates the acidity/alkalinity of a liquid.
Universal Indicator Paper is one of the most popular pH test papers on the market and suitable for many applications. They provide a quick and easy method of indicating the pH of a solution by using a single colour change which can be matched to the colour chart at intervals of 1 pH.
- pack of 80 strips
- standard colour card
- high quality pH paper
- perforated strips for easy use
- Water-tight plastic container
- Strip have intervals of 1 pH unit
- Dip a strip of test paper into test solution for approximately 1 second and remove.
- Compare colour on test paper with colour chart within 5 seconds of removal.
- Colour produced will indicate the pH of the solution.
- For turbid liquid/suspensions place a drop of test liquid onto a strip of test paper. Use the spot on the reverse side of the test paper to compare with the colour chart.
- Keep unused test papers in their original plastic container
- Store in a cool dry place
A Little bit of Science:
FACTS ABOUT ACIDS
Acids have a low pH ( below 7 )
Acids turn pH paper red or orange
Acids taste sour.
Some acids can damage living cells.
Acids are neutralised by bases to make salts and water.
Acids make hydrogen when they react with some metals.
Acids have hydrogen in them! For example, Hydrocholoric Acid ( HCl )
FACTS ABOUT ALKALIS
Alkalis have a high pH ( over 7 ) and turn pH paper blue or purple.
Alkalis often feel soapy or slimy.
Alkalis can be corrosive and very damaging to skin.
Alkalis neutalise acids to make salts and water.
Alkalis dissolve in water to give an alkaline solution.
Alkalis are usually Metal Oxides, Hydroxides or Carbonates eg. sodium hydroxide (NaOH)